- Masculine (Fire and Air signs): The masculine signs are Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius. A native with these signs predominating will tend towards extroversion, confidence and assertiveness, and have the ability to solve problems with courage and enterprise.
- Feminine (Earth and Water signs): The feminine signs are Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces. A native with these signs predominating will tend towards introversion, shyness and passivity, and have the ability to nurture, conserve and solve problems by intuitive means.
- Fire : The fires signs are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius. A native with mainly fire signs will be energetic, enthusiastic and optimistic, with a need to be in the center of the action making things happen. They can be egotistical, headstrong and sometimes arrogant, but also can be generous, warm-hearted, and spontaneously kind. Fire subjects are independent and prefer to have control over their own lives, but they can also be sometimes autocratic. A subject lacking fire signs will be fearful or over-cautious, pessimistic and shy, and will lack enthusiasm, confidence and faith in the future. Planets in the 1st, 5th and 9th houses and an emphasis on cardinal signs in the chart will help to compensate for this lack.
- Earth : The earth signs are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. A native with mainly earth signs will be practical and cautious, sensible and capable and will be happier with concrete things than abstract ideas. They move slowly and carry out their work in a thorough and unhurried manner. Earth subjects are shrewd and careful and need emotional and material security, and will put up with quite a lot to get it. They are generous to those they love, but are otherwise careful not to waste time or money, though there can be a tendency towards meanness. Earth subjects tend to be shy in social situations, and to be slow to commit in love relationships, but are serious when they do. A subject lacking earth signs will lack common sense and practicality and find it difficult to finish anything they start. They may be scatty, unrealistic and clumsy, hopeless with money and unreliable. Planets in the 2nd, 6th and 10th houses and an emphasis on fixed signs in the chart will help to compensate for this lack.
- Air : The air signs are Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. A native with mainly air signs will be an excellent communicator, concerned with ideas and theories of all kinds. They are looking for answers to life’s questions and make good teachers and writers. Air people are more tense than they appear at first sight and may live on their nerves. They have many friends and acquaintances but may not be particularly interested in family life. They are interested in the latest technologies and are able to do a number of things at once. Air subjects are also very imaginative and quick-witted, but may be sarcastic and rude. A subject lacking air signs will have little imagination and lightness of touch. They have an over-emphasis on practicalities and can lack a sense of humour, and be boring company. They can find it difficult to communicate or to assimilate and explain new ideas. Planets in the 3rd, 7th and 11th houses, and an emphasis on mutable signs in the chart will help to compensate for this lack.
- Water: The water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. A native with mainly water signs will be very emotional and find it hard to look at anything dispassionately. They tend to respond slowly to questions and need time to grasp a new concept. Water subjects can find it difficult to explain their feelings, and so can be difficult to live with, but they are also kind and sympathetic to those they love. They need to give and receive a lot of affection and will direct it towards family, close friends and animals. A subject lacking water may lack intuition and be unable to see the needs of others. They may be too full of ideas or too fond of the material world to consider their own spiritual needs or those of other people. Planets in the 4th, 8th and 12th houses in the chart will help to compensate for this lack.
- Cardinal : The cardinal signs are Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn. A native with mainly cardinal signs will not want to be held under anybody’s thumb, and will need to take charge of their own world. Their attention may be concerned with themselves or others, but wherever their energies are directed it is difficult to deflect them from their chosen course. Cardinal signs in a chart will add courage, initiative and self-motivation. Cardinal subjects are hard to influence because they generally believe they know best. A subject lacking cardinal signs may feel they are never in control of their own lives, but are manipulated by people and circumstances beyond their control. They may lack courage and initiative and may prefer others to make decisions for them. Planets in the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th houses, and an emphasis on fire and air signs in the chart will help to compensate for this lack.
- Fixed : The fixed signs are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius. A native with mainly fixed signs has the strength and endurance to see things through and to uphold the status quo. They need stable homes, careers and partnerships and prefer the known to uncertainty. Fixed subjects are loyal and dependable but can be very obstinate. A subject lacking fixed signs cannot stick with anything or see anything through, and will tend to walk away from problems. They may be too easily bored or too busy chasing rainbows ever to make anything substantial happen. Planets in the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th houses, or an emphasis on earth in the chart will help to compensate for this lack.
- Mutable The mutable signs are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces. A native with mainly mutable signs are adaptable, co-operative and friendly. They can fit into almost any situation, put up with anything and turn any situation to their advantage. Mutable people can steer projects through periods of transition and bring them to a successful conclusion. Although gentle and likeable, mutable subjects seem to have more than their fair share of problems and can be selfish and ruthless when they feel threatened. These subjects may devote their lives to helping others, but they can often paradoxically be surprisingly selfish at the same time. Subjects lacking mutable signs may be unable to adapt to any kind of change and be particularly unhappy when faced with uncertainty. They need lots of notice before they will commit themselves to anything, and lack flexibility and adaptability. They may also hold onto rigid and unchanging views. Planets in the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th houses will help to compensate for this lack, and water signs in the chart will make up for the lack of intuition.